Youth Global Citizen (YGC) Program Overview:
Youth Global Citizen (YGC) is an experiential learning program that teaches young adults leadership skills and the significance of service and philanthropy. YGC cultivates leaders with diverse perspectives to serve and lead. Each class is composed of a maximum of 25 participants who meet eight times from September 2016 through April 2017. See program schedule below.
Selection of the Youth Global Citizen Class of 2017 is complete with high school students that exhibit the following:
- A strong desire to become a better leader in all aspects of life;
- A passion for serving others;
- An eagerness to learn and develop their own character;
- A willingness to collaborate and learn from others;
- A willingness to have ideas challenged;
- An awareness of injustices that call them to action.
- Program Orientation – Friday, September 9, 2016 (4:30 PM – 9 PM)
- Program Retreat – Saturday, September 10, 2016 (10 AM – 4 PM)
- Learning Event 1 – Saturday, October 8, 2016 (10 AM – 4 PM)
- Learning Event 2 – Saturday, November 5, 2016 (10 AM – 4 PM)
- Learning Event 3 – Saturday, December 10, 2016 (10 AM – 4 PM)
- Learning Event 4 – Saturday, January 14, 2017 (10 AM – 4 PM)
- Learning Event 5 – Saturday, February 11, 2017 (10 AM – 4 PM)
- Learning Event 6 – Saturday, March 11, 2017 (10 AM – 4 PM
- Final Learning Event – Saturday, April 8, 2017 (10 AM – 4 PM)
- Program Celebration – Sunday, April 9, 2017 (11 AM – 1 PM, Parke Regency Hotel)
All sessions, except Program Celebration, will be held on the campus of Illinois Wesleyan University in the State Farm Hall https://goo.gl/maps/V8yMJaAWMdk .
Benefits to Graduates:
- Greater self-understanding and self-confidence in their ability to lead
- Comfort and skill working in a team with diverse individuals and perspectives
- Work on a project team to understand a local/global need and providing necessary support through fundraising efforts and service
Special note about YGC 2018:
The Youth Global Citizen program started in 2015 has seen almost 40 students learn and develop their leadership, philanthropy and team work skills. For two years, our steering committee has also learned a lot about the planning and execution of this amazing program. We received valuable feedback from our key stakeholders (i.e., participants, parents, and mentors) regarding the pacing and scheduling of the program. In light of this feedback, we have determined that our best course of action is to reconfigure the YGC program to take place during a summer session rather than throughout the school year. Our hope is that this new configuration will allow participants to focus solely on YGC and become more fully invested in the learning that transpires through the program. We will begin soliciting participant applications in the spring of 2018 for a program to take place during the summer of 2018. We appreciate your continued support of this powerful youth leadership program.
If you are interested in being contacted when applications are available for 2018, please complete this form.
For additional information contact YGC Steering Committee via email at firstname.lastname@example.org